MOODS

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

‘A’ Resident Certificate

I am sure most of us would have seen the movie ‘Men in Black’. For those who have
not , well it is a movie where planet earth is like a shelter for friendly aliens from
different parts of the galaxy. These aliens have a human body and lead ‘normal’ (I dunno if we can call our lifestyles normal) lives. These aliens have something like a passport and they also have clearly defined geographical boundary which they are not supposed to cross. You can say it is more like their visa which defines their area of free movement. Anyways I did not associate much importance to this or to the film until a few days back.

To stay in Taiwan on a long term one has to have a work permit and an ARC. Only with this would you be allowed to open a bank account, get post paid mobile connections and many other things. Now, I understood ‘work permit’ but dindn't bother to find what this ARC means. All that mattered to me was that once I have the damn thing, I can do many other damn things.

After one year of approval and sign off process I got my ARC and work permit last week. I had waited so long and I was really happy that I had finally got it. The happiness was to be short lived. I had to go to the corporate office to collect this. After discussing the formalities to be completed like signing in some thousand places, I left the office and on the way took a closer look at the card. In shining Bold Arial font it read ALIEN RESIDENT CERTIFICATE. It was really annoying and very depressing. Even though it means someone who owes allegiance to a different country, the first thing which comes to my mind is sci-fi aliens. Couldn’t they find any other word say like foreign business visitor, or Non Citizen ID, or simply Outsider. Why ALIEN. The photography which I have on this card seems to reinforce the sci-fi meaning. Believe me its not a very Pleasant experience to show ur ‘ALIEN’ card when asks for some proof. Agghhhh
Feel that someday one of these chinks, with an attitude, dressed from head to toe in black is going walk into my office and blow my head off.

Alien Moods

4 Comments:

  • Get over it. It is a common usage for referring to people in a country where they are not the citizens. Your emphasis/association to the other meaning of the word is the problem. It is like people who don't name Alvins for their kids because of their association to the cartoon Alvin & the Chipmunks.

    United States uses aliens to refer to people who are not US citizens.
    http://tinyurl.com/8o9ce

    By Blogger Timothy, at 7:32 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger rwhat, at 2:41 AM  

  • Welcome earthling!

    Take me to your leader!!!

    :-) :-)

    By Blogger rwhat, at 2:42 AM  

  • haha,
    Thats funny right? So you are the alien eh? The scum of the universe (that WE are for sure)!! And hey, its common parlance in the US man. Some government purpose applications say, "Specify Nationality a) American b) Alien".
    We come to see the word "alien" as a monster from out-space while its not quite that way...anyways...kewl blog man...haha....its funny to think of your photo and then say, "Hey, looks there's an alien with an alien card!"

    By Blogger Ram'P, at 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home