MOODS

Monday, December 12, 2005

I Love Christmas

It was like eternity but it finally came…. This was one Saturday which I wanted to come ASAP…. Exactly 5 days back, which happens to be a bloody Monday, the temperature decided to take a dive.. From a pleasant 23-25 it took a nose dive to 13-17…. Now there are some really good things about this…U don’t need the AC anymore, no sweating, no need to iron clothes (Cuz there is always a full sweater covering your shirt) and this and that and so on and so forth….
But before all this pleasure comes the pain of getting up early in the morning …add to that the time it takes for the water to get warm in the shower…. The very thought of a shower gives me Goosebumps ….
But then finally Saturday came and I enjoyed my sleep till 1:00 PM…. Got up and made coffee and then played cricket from 3:00 to 6:00…. Once you are allowed to sleep well, winters are the best …it was very refreshing and I decided to do some shopping….
Rohit and I then went to the 101 shopping mall….ee ling ee (101 in chinese) being the tallest building in the world Houses all the big brands …..

Rohit and I had decided that this time around we would go for a branded winter wear … So we started with the normal ones like Benetton, Esprite and then moved ahead to GAP, Roots…as we moved from one shop to the next we found some amazing clothes…the design and quality were right up there….we then went into Tommy Hilfiger …Now this is a commonplace name in Chennai… you can find every third person with one of them….i can safely say that this is ‘THE’ brand name with the most number of duplicates ever sold….

Out of curiosity, I check the price of the original Tommy….they were mostly 5 digit numbers with the exception of a few , which happened to be in the higher four digit range….Without much choice and convinced that only crazy people would shell such money I moved forward….
The next showroom was Ralph Lauren…a very classy showroom…I pick up a light blue sweater and appreciate the cashmere wool…hhmmm…. soffttttttt…. My hands automatically reach for the price tag…I could only smile….2000 USD….
If I call people buying Tommy crazy, then what would I call people buying Ralph Lauren…’Lunatics’,’ Guna’ …...i go around the showroom and calculate how much it would cost to dress from head to toe in Ralph Lauren …it worked out to be more than my gross Annual salary…after 20 mins ,being the only person hanging out in the whole goddamn showroom, and unable to ignore the eyes of 3 sales people now; I move out, thinking when I would be rich enough to buy such stuff….
1 answer struck me immediately ……’not as long as am in TCS’..hehehhe
The day goes by well but without any purchase ….. I feel good and finish my Saturday off with a ‘Presidente Margarita’ from Chili’s….
Come Sunday and am out shopping again….not for myself this time, but for my friends who would be off to India in a weeks time…. We go to Shing Kong Mitsokoshi…Similar in size to 101 but a Japanese mall..
We reach the place and all we can see is miles of humanity. People everywhere…the goddamn place is on Christmas SALE….. we also join the crazy shoppers and make our way to the men’s section…..
The Tommy’s and Ralph Lauren’s were there smiling coldly at us….the same classy showrooms but with a small difference… they were on SALE too….so we move in ….60% off, 50%off….they were all over the place…something which looked like a distant dream looked very much affordable….i was scanning the place and in the center there was this light brown corduroy jerkin…….man did it look pretty good…..I take a look at the price tag….

10 minutes later I walk out of the stores with a Shing Kong Mitsukoshi bag housing my very own Ralph Lauren…felt good …in fact felt ecstatic….

I join the league of lunatics…I love Christmas…:)

“A victim of exceptional marketing or a person who appreciates the finer things in life “…definitely debatable…but now I would argue for the later…:)

Moods

2 Comments:

  • Namaste !!:-)

    By Blogger ahiri, at 9:14 PM  

  • Nice blog dude.
    The concept of discounts perfectly instantiates the power of marketing in a capitalistic ecnomony. Its the point where you lose something to get something better. Well yeah, i sure do accept that it was a connoiseur's choice to buy the jerkin rather than a mere fall to desire ;) Keep it coming buddy. Nice blogs really. Simple and easy to associate with.

    By Blogger Ram'P, at 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home